The homeland of Buddha, a country of contrasts and one of the most unusual countries in Asia is Nepal, where the traveler Svetlana managed to visit. Very kind and friendly people live in this country. Nepal is a cheap and safe country. The popular majestic mountains of the Himalayas are spread here and many Buddhist temples are concentrated. And how to get to Nepal, how much does it cost to live, how to get a visa to Nepal and a lot of other useful information, read the interview.
– Tell us about yourself.
– My name is Svetlana, I am from Nizhny Novgorod. My travel experience is 7 years, however, I do not travel as often as I would like 🙂 Nevertheless, I try to visit new countries whenever possible.
– What attracted Nepal to travel?
– I’ve been drawn to Nepal for a long time. Even I myself was not completely clear what the reasons were. And I decided that if I wanted to, I had to go. Moreover, inexpensive plane tickets were found. Everything worked out as it should.
– What impression did this country make?
– The impression is wonderful. Nepal is a very diverse country. There are mountains and jungles in it – for testing yourself, there is Lake Pheva, if you want peace and quiet. Nepal has many Buddhist temples and its own culture. And, of course, it is there that the Bodnath stupa, built in the 6th century, is located, which attracts pilgrims from all over the world, and which flickers in the frames of the film “Little Buddha”.
– Where were you looking for accommodation for your vacation?
– Accommodation was booked on the Internet. Housing prices in Nepal, for example, for a room start from $ 4-5, but if you want electricity and hot water, prices will start from $ 10 per day.
– Do you need a visa to Nepal?
– Yes, Russians need a visa to Nepal. There are 3 ways to get it.
1. It can be issued upon arrival in the country by providing the necessary documents: visa application form, 2 photos (3×4 cm), passport, receipt for payment of the visa fee.
2. You can also apply for a visa to Nepal in advance online at online.nepalimmigration.gov.np, where you just need to fill out a form and send it to the Embassy. Then an answer will come with a ready visa, it must be printed out and presented at the border of Nepal.
3. You can get a visa at the visa center in Moscow.
The cost of a visa to Nepal is: $ 25 for 15 days, for 30 days – $ 40 and for 90 days – $ 100.
– How to get to Nepal and how long does the flight take?
– The flight to Nepal took more than a day due to connections, because there is no direct flight from Russia to Nepal, all of them with transfers in other countries. For example, you can fly through India. And ticket prices during sales start at $ 400 for a round trip.
– Tell us what to see in Nepal?
– I was in the Himalayas – a very magical place that leaves the desire to return to this country again, went to the first track in my life. I also spent several days at Lake Feva in Pokhara, went to Lumbini – this is the place where Buddha was born, and, of course, walked to Kathmandu, looked at temples, stupas, spent the Buddha’s birthday in this city and waved to the living goddess Kumari. Read more about my trip on my blog: @windyworlds
– Tell us interesting facts about this country.
– Nepal is a country of contrasts, dusty Kathmandu is bordered by the majestic mountains of the Himalayas, where the purest mountain air. There are very kind people living in Nepal who will always help and prompt. There is a special energy, and if you have any doubts about going to Nepal or not, take tickets – you will not regret it.
– How much does a vacation in Nepal cost?
– Nepal is a cheap country. Lunch in a cafe for two will cost about 300-400 rubles, in stores it is even cheaper. Moving from one city to another – about 1000-1500 rubles, taxi on average 300 rubles. Some attractions are paid, and prices there are up to $ 10.
– Nepal is considered a very religious country. Does it feel?
– Of course! In Nepal, there are temples even high in the mountains and you will always meet pilgrims in them. In Kathmandu, the religiosity of local residents is especially felt. Tourists also visit places such as the Swayambhunath stupas, Bodnath stupas and the Pashupatinath temple complex.
– What local dishes would you recommend to try?
– Local mamo dumplings made from steamed lamb mince and tukpa noodle soup. Perhaps these are the most familiar dishes for our stomachs 🙂
– What is the weather in Nepal?
– The weather is different in different cities. In spring, for example, in Kathmandu it was 25-28 degrees, in Lumbini all 40, and in the mountains with every thousand meters it gets colder by about 7 degrees. At an altitude of about 3000 meters in the Himalayas it was only +3.
– Do you need any vaccinations before traveling to Nepal?
– This is optional.
– What is the level of security in the country?
– It is absolutely safe in Nepal. But, as in any country, you should not leave money and valuables in a room unattended.
– Tell us about the local people and the culture of the country.
– Nepalese are very friendly and kind people. Perhaps one of the most hospitable nations. They know how to enjoy life and be happy. As for the culture, it is better to see once, you can describe it indefinitely. I can only say that people there treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves, and this is very cool.
– What do you get from travel?
– Various emotions, sometimes the lessons of the universe 🙂 For me, every journey is a path from which it is impossible to return the same.
– Your advice and wishes for travelers going on vacation to Nepal.
– Bring an antiseptic and a first aid kit with your usual medications, because local food can cause stomach discomfort. And most importantly, go to this country with an open heart, trust the world and your trip will definitely succeed.
Interviewed by Olga Avrakh